In 1881, the Chatham County Courthouse was first constructed. Throughout the years, the courthouse endured use from the people who worked within its walls. It saw numerous members of the community pass in and out of its doors. It withstood the elements Mother Nature threw its way; all of these events chipping away at the structure little by little making it look worn. Over the years updates and renovations were conducted. During its most recent renovation in March 2010, the historical structure was partially burned. Now in April 2013, the Chatham County Courthouse will once again open its doors to the public after an extensive RESTORATION.
Just like with the courthouse, it is important that we take time to put some attention on ourselves. RESTORE our beliefs. RESTORE our happiness. RESTORE our health.
Relax, RESTORE, Unwind. This is our goal for all of you each time you visit us at the Spa at Bell House. With spring finally here, it’s a time for new beginnings, cleansing, and RESTORATION. What better time to focus on doing something good for your body than now.
The weather is turning warmer, the days are getting longer. Over the next several months many of us will spend more time outside than inside. We will fill our days with social engagements, cook-outs, pool parties… and of course, we all want to look and feel our best!
In order to get our skin spring-time ready, we must take an inside-out approach. You’ve heard the old adage, “You are what you eat.” This particular translation made its way into the English language in the 1920’s by a nutritionist named Victor Lindlahr. He is quoted as saying, “Ninety per cent of the diseases known to man are caused by cheap foodstuffs. You are what you eat.” Not only does food affect our physical being, it also has a bearing on our mental state, as well as the condition of our skin. There’s no time like the present to begin putting into place some healthy lifestyle changes. This isn’t to suggest you should change your entire way of living, but rather to get you thinking about some simple ways you can become healthier on the inside that will reflect good skin health on the outside.
As you make your next grocery list try to include some of the following items. Begin with just a few to make the transition a little easier to swallow!
* Wild salmon, herring, or trout – these are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids which provide skin with
oils that lubricate and reduce inflammation.
* Sweet potatoes (or carrots) are rich in beta carotene which converts to vitamin A. Vitamin A is
responsible for keeping skin touchably soft.
* Oranges, grapefruit, or any food high in vitamin C. Vitamin C stimulates collagen and protects
against wrinkles. According to a study by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, women with a
diet high in vitamin C had noticeably less dryness and fewer wrinkles.
* Yogurt is a good source of protein, which after digestion aids in the construction of new body tissue.
* Yogurt also contains biotin which increases nail strength.
* Capsaicin (found in cayenne pepper) contains vitamin C which helps protect skin from damage
among numerous other health benefits. This is a really amazing herb!!
* Nuts and seeds contain anti-inflammatory nutrients, such as vitamin E, that help to reduce skin
* Water – of course LOTS and LOTS of water!
In addition, there are also things to avoid the next time you go shopping. The following are ingredients found in many cosmetics that are detrimental to our skin’s health.
* Parabens are known to cause inflammation (you can’t get rid of inflammation with inflammation!).
* Ureas realease formaldehyde and other toxins.
* Mineral oil and petroleum jelly clog pores.
* Sodium lauryl sulfate damages cell membranes, triggers inflammation, and promotes aging.
* Excessive sugar is believed to make skin dull and wrinkled (not sugar found in sugar scrubs, but the
the sugar you consume!).
So many times, what we see on the outside is a reflection of what is going on inside our bodies. Clear, radiant skin often indicates good internal health, whereas problem skin can be an indication of poor internal health or a lack of vital nutrient(s).
So kick off this April with a RESTORATION! Your skin will be sure to show you how grateful it is!!